KUALA LUMPUR, May 7 — MCA’s National Youth Education chief Chong Sin Woon today called for Dong Zong (United Chinese Schools Committees Association) to rejoin the special committee set up to solve the shortage of Chinese school teachers.
Dong Zong had last week pulled out of the talks, saying they wanted to discuss policy changes instead of technical improvements in the education system.
However, Deputy Education Minister Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong said yesterday that the talks will still proceed with the other stakeholders, according to the Chinese newspaper Sin Chew Daily.
“If the Dong Zong chairman (Yap Sin Tian) was really sincere, he would not have launch this boycott,” said Chong in a statement today.
He also said that the Ministry of Education had shown “proof of their sincerity” with its announcement of the eight short- and long-term solutions.
“For the sake of Chinese education, we should put aside our differences and use this platform to discuss solutions to develop a long-term plan so that we can resolve this critical shortage of teachers,” Chong said.
He said that “both the technical aspects and the long-term policies should be taken into account” and “it is important that Dong Zong rejoins the special committee instead of simply launching a boycott.”
The talks involving the ministry and five bodies —Dong Zong, Jiao Zong (the United Chinese School Teachers Association), Hua Zong (the Federation of Chinese Associations), the National Union of Teaching Profession and SJKC School Headmasters Association — has been going on since March 8.
Dong Zong had organised a mass rally in Kajang on March 25 to voice its concern over the lack of Chinese school teachers, where Wee, who is also the MCA Youth chief, alleged he was assaulted by a disgruntled protester in the angry crowd.